Got my PalmIII for a while now with my own USB serial and expansion “port”. Surely made things lot easier. Installed one of my fav Pacman clones called Gobble! which is a freeware. But one big gripe that i had was that the game couldn’t be paused! Looking away from the game could result in losing a life point.
While patching PRCs can be done, and i have studied it before, i have not done it for a long time. But this “lack of pause” in Gobble finally pissed me enough to try to do something about it. So i broke open my decompiler and looked for the right place to patch such that i wouldn’t lose a point in some way.
Did some mapping around in assembly and finally found a good place to patch so that if no button is registered, you wouldn’t lose a life point.
Patch locations are 0x908 and 0x90a. Changing the instructions from 0x5350 and 0x544f to 0x4e71 and 0x4e71 respectively.
Some learnings are – BRA = 6000 – NOOP = 4e71 – BLS = 6304 – BHS = 6216?620c?6228?
Effectively, this acts like a “Pause” function where if you don’t press the buttons for a while, and the ghost doesn’t get you in the meantime, you wouldn’t lose a point. Don’t care about how its done? The PRC file is below. It was freeware but i couldn’t find the source to do a clean fix. So here is the patched version.
Here is the link that helped me to set it up.
Architecturally, the Singtel Fibre modem provides a single Cat6 cable with 3 VLANs tagged to it. In order to make use of the network, VOIP and MIOTV separately, there is a need to split these 3 items into individual connections so that “dumb” routers or layer 3 routers can make use of them. Based on recommendations from friends, i made use of a CISCO SLM2008T which cost SGD$159 to do this. Cheap and relatively trouble free. However, i noticed that the above blog doesn’t map to my Layer 2 switch so i think the below steps would serve as a reminder to how i did it in principle. Continue reading Singtel Fibre Setup without PARC Router→
Made a mistake of accidentally plugging in a 12V DC into an old LiPo charging circuit and blew the board. Had to salvage the parts and realized that the older MintyBoost v2 board was still working fine. A little bit of handiwork and a 2xAA battery holder brought the device back to life again.
Using Sugru as the modeling clay to protect the electronics of the MintyBoost, the kids came up with a charger the shape of an animal… and this is going to belong to them.